The only devices/technology you actually need at university

Published: 10/12/2021

This blog post was inspired by the YouTube videos by Ruby Granger and Ibz Mo (see bottom of post). This is my honest advice of all I used at university.

What technology/devices I actually use at University 

  • My laptop
  • My own printer
  • An extension lead
That was it. I took notes using pen and paper and printed off my lecture slides prior to the session (so I could make my notes around each slide). This is all you really need, anything else is just an indulgence.

My laptop

I personally used a Lenovo laptop (no apple products in sight) as I have always used Lenovo laptops and have found them suitable for my study needs. 

I would personally suggest buying a laptop with a large screen as this makes it easier to read PowerPoint slides and your essays than on a smaller screen.


My printer

I found this really useful as I prefer to read Journal Articles and my essays on paper rather than on my computer screen. My dyslexic brain struggles with tracking the sentences from left to right on a computer screen and paper are oddly much easier. 

I purchased a printer that had the ability to print double-sided automatically (to save money on paper) and the ability to scan documents (which is really useful for job-related documents and scanning in textbook pages if I need to return the book). 

Buying paper and ink

My top tip would be to buy in bulk as this is a much cheaper way. I always compared the prices of printer paper in large supermarkets and on Amazon to make sure I got the cheapest paper. 


The printer I use

Mine is a Canon Pixma MG5750 

It costs £269.99 from Amazon (see link below)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Canon-MG5750-4800-Multifunctional-Multifunction-1200-dpi/dp/B017LA52H2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=canon+pixma+mg5750+printer&qid=1639049238&sr=8-3


An extension lead

  • Very useful to charge multiple devices

A tablet
Some students use these instead of a laptop or pen and paper to take notes. It is not essential but you can purchase one if you desire. 

Comparing tablet costs
Disclaimer: All costs are accurate as of 10/12/2021 on Amazon or directly from reMarkable

reMarkable
The reMarkable 2 (only type available) new costs £399, I have not been able to find any second-hand ones.

Accessories
  • The basic marker costs £49
  • The marker pro costs £129
  • The folio (case) costs a minimum of £69

Microsoft surface
A renewed Microsoft surface (without a keyboard) can cost in the region of £249.99

Apple iPad
Renewed Apple iPads with 32GB of storage in good/good as new condition cost about £200 or more

Accessories
  • A keyboard case can cost in the region of £30 or more (depending upon the brand)
  • A pencil equivalent from another supplier can cost about £16.99 or more

StudyTube videos reviewing technology/devices for university



Do you disagree? Let me know in the comments section below.


Comments

Popular blog posts