What I have learned from my degree

Published: 15/11/2021

This is what I have learned from doing my BSc university degree.


1) You will not know everything


2) Pick your university course carefully

This sounds like a strange piece of advice, but if you know that you are the type of person who prefers lecturers rather than problem-based learning (basically learning from a problem/case) then you should consider this when you apply to your degree course. 

On my BSc course, we use enquiry-based learning (the same as problem-based learning), looking back I would have actually learned more and thrived in more of a lecture-based environment as I prefer to be confronted with what I don't know, so I can work on understanding the concept in my own study time rather than trying to teach myself around the topic. 

3) Seek peer support



4) Don't compare yourself to others

Each person on your course will have their own strengths and weaknesses. This can be both a blessing and a curse, so keep in mind that you may find certain topics more challenging than others. However, you can use this to your advantage by asking peers who are stronger in certain topic areas to explain certain concepts or topics to aid your learning.

5) Enjoy and make the most out of placements



6) 
Work hard but also make time for yourself!


7) If you are unhappy with an aspect of your course, lead the change
The student voice is incredibly powerful at university (after all you all impact the course rating during your last year of the degree). To create the change you want to see, first write down what changes would make it better then seek peer opinions via group chats or other means. Use this then relay this information to the appropriate lecturers or module coordinators. After all, if you do nothing, nothing will change.

Comments

Popular blog posts