Reflections

Published: 25/10/2020

These are my tips on 

1. how to get better at reflections and 

2. helpful resources for reflections.


Books on reflection

Tools for Continuing Professional Development 2nd edition by Chia Hong and Deborah Harrison










This book explains the principles of reflection techniques and formats such as SWOT. It also provides examples from students and clinicians.

Helpful templates

CSP e-portfolio

https://cpd.csp.org.uk/view/view.php?id=1047

These template are a helpful way to structure and shape your individual reflections. When you feel more confident you can make your own templates to fill in. 


My own templates

Padesky 5 Aspects inspired reflection framework

Date:

Review date:

Situation

Where? When? Who with? What happened? How?

 

 

Thoughts

What went through my mind at that time?

 

 

Emotions

What emotion did I feel at that time? How intense was that feeling (0-100%)?

 

 

What I did or didn’t do

What didn’t I do or what did I avoid doing? What autonomic reactions did I have? What would other people have seen me doing? What did I do and why?

 

 

 

Action plan

·       

VAS Scale template

Event:

For this scale 0 = no confidence, 10 = full confidence

Date:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 





Why not 10:

·       

Summary

Graph

Action plan


Reflection Diary 

What happened?

 

How did this experience make you feel?

 

What was good and bad about the experience?

 

What have I learnt?

 

What would I do different?

 

How will this affect my future patients?

 

Action plan…

 

 

 Please let me know in the comments below if you have any useful tips, tricks or templates for reflections. I would love to hear about them.


Comments

Popular blog posts