Reducing costs

Published: 25/07/2020

Here are the ways that I reduce the costs of university related expenses.

CamelCamelCamel
This site provides a free way to monitor the price of items on Amazon, using the item's URL. When you paste the Amazon's URL into their search box, it will show you a graph of how the item's price has varied over a period of time. 

This can help you to decide if you are getting a good deal or if you can wait, you can set a price watch and the site will email you when the price hits your target price. 


Price comparison sites
When I am setting up the a bill for my student house I use price comparison sites such as (compare the market, go compare, USwitch etc) to identify the lowest cost tariff based on previous usage for electricity, gas and water bills or the desired contract for internet and SIM only deals. 

Tip: 12 month contracts for electricity and gas are cheaper than the flexible monthly alternatives


Retainers
To avoid the trip to an orthodontist and the high costs for taking a mould and checking the fitting. I have started to use internet based home kits for taking retain impressions. 

These kits send you two bits of putty per tray (one tray for each retainer) which you mix together then put inside the tray. This tray and putty are used to create an impression of your teeth which are used to mould your retainers. Then you send the impressions off and wait for the retainers to be posted to your address. 

I have found the process very simple to do. I would recommend trying as this option is much cheaper than going to the orthodontist.

My recommended sites
Let me know any other low cost sites you have used in the comments section.

Comments

Popular blog posts